Tuesday, May 11, 2010



HELLO! I've just finished reading a book called Daddy-Long-Legs. Which I bought from Payless Bookstore Warehouse Sale. I bought like 42 books from there for $189 around $4 a book :)
Anyway, if I recall correctly, I read about Daddy-Long-Legs in my L.A. book, something about it being the first book made up almost entirely of letters.
When I say letters I mean letters you send to people, not the letters that make up a sentence.

Daddy-Long-Legs is about an orphan girl, who is noticed by a benefactor who wants to send her to college, but she is not told who he is and to address him as Mr. Smith. She must also write him letters every month to tell her about her studies.
She wants a family and so she nicknames him Daddy-Long-Legs.
The book is made up of her letters to him, and there is no reply at all.

But her letters are so cute!!

There is this part where she says,

I went to bed last night utterly dejected; I thought I was never going to amount to anything, and that you had thrown away your money for nothing. But what do you think? I woke up this morning with a beautiful new plot in my head, and I've been going about all day planning my characters, just as happy as I could be. No one can ever accuse me of being a pessimist! If I had a husband and twelve children swallowed by an earth quake one day, I'd bob up smilingly the next morning and commence to look for another set.

And another part,

Youth has nothing to do with birthdays only with alivedness of spirit, so if your hair is gray, Daddy, you can still be a boy.

oh and there are her drawings in the book as well. LAWL.


Btw the author is Jean Webster :D

A few pictures from Metro Carnival. GAH ALMOST STEPPED ON A BABY LIZARD!



























I lazy to arrange :P

No comments:

Post a Comment